Corona virus update - Zion Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Detroit has resumed our normal schedule of Services. The requirement that visitors pre-register for Mass has been rescinded. Click here for more information.
A Day of National Thanksgiving will be celebrated at Zion with a special Mass at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 26, in the Church.
The Feast of St. Andrew, Apostle will be celebrated at Zion with a spoken Mass in the Church on Monday, November 30 at 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday Masses for Advent will be celebrated in the Church at 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. This year the sermon themes will be drawn from the appointed Gospels for the Wednesdays in Advent. The schedule of Masses, and the sermon themes, are:
Advent I - Ad Te Levavi: Wednesday, December 2nd,
Luke 4:14-22 –– “This Scripture is fulfilled”
Advent II - Populus Zion: Wednesday, December 9th,
Matthew 11:11-15 –– “The prophets and the Law prophesied”
Advent III - Gaudete: Ember Wednesday, December 16th,
Luke 1:26-38 –– “The Son of the Highest”
Advent IV – Rorate Coeli: Wednesday, December 23rd,
Matthew 3:7-11 –– “The ax is laid to the root of the trees”
Regularly at Zion -
- Adult Bible Class is held twice each week - Sunday after Mass, and Wednesday after morning Mass. On Sundays we are are engaged in a close study of the Gospel according to St. John, which Fr. Braden leads from the Greek text. On Wednesdays we are studying the Book of the Prophet Hosea, with an eye to the Hebrew which underlies the text.
- The Zion Men's Group meets twice each month, alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays, at 7:00 p.m. After singing Vespers in the Church, we are currently studying Chemnitz's Two Natures in Christ, a 16th century study of Christology. After our study, food and (Lutheran) beverages enhance our Gemütlichkeit.
- The Zion Women's Group meets twice a month on Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Chapel, enjoy coffee and baked goods, and then continue in our study of the Book of Proverbs, with an eye to the Hebrew that underlies the text.
- Adult Catechesis is offered Thursday nights at 6:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Church, and the study following is a close reading of the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther's Great Confession on the Sacrament of the Altar.
- Membership/Confirmation Classes are held periodically, scheduled to be convenient to those seeking membership at Zion. Youth Confirmation class is held Saturday mornings at 10:00 a.m. Luther's Small Catechism is the main text for both membership and Confirmation classes. First Communion classes are held in the Rectory on Saturday mornings for those who demonstrate a readiness to receive the Lord's Body and Blood according to Scripture, our Catechism, and Luther's Christian Questions and Their Answers. Contact the Church office for more information.
- Join us for one of these opportunities to study the Word of God, to grow in your knowledge of God and your love for God and neighbor, to learn more about Christian doctrine, and to enjoy the company of the faithful!
- Video of a full Sunday Mass at Zion is now available on our Youtube page - Click Here