Corona virus update - Effective Sunday, May 17, Zion Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Detroit is resuming our normal schedule of Services. As of June 10, 2020 the requirement that visitors register for Mass has been rescinded. Click here for more information.
The Feast of the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary will be celebrated at Zion, Deo volente, on Saturday, August 15, with a spoken Mass in the Church at 10:00 a.m.
The Feast of the Decolation of St. John the Baptizer will be celebrated at Zion, Deo volente, on Saturday, August 29, with a spoken Mass in the Church at 10:00 a.m.
The St. Michael Liturgical Conference is scheduled for Monday, September 28, the Commemoration of St. Lioba. For more information, and for updates on how the Corona virus epidemic may affect the Conference, see the Conference page.
Regularly at Zion -
- Adult Bible Class is held twice each week - Sunday after Mass, and Wednesday after morning Mass. On Sundays we are are engaged in a close study of the Gospel according to St. John, which Fr. Braden leads from the Greek text. On Wednesdays we are currently finishing a study of the Epistle of St. Paul to the Galatians, which is also led from the Greek New Testament.
- The Zion Men's Group meets twice each month, alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays, at 7:00 p.m. After singing Vespers in the Church, we are currently studying Chemnitz's Two Natures in Christ, a 16th century study of Christology. After our study, food and (Lutheran) beverages enhance our Gemütlichkeit.
- The Zion Women's Group meets twice a month on Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Chapel, enjoy coffee and baked goods, and then continue in our study of the Book of Proverbs, with an eye to the Hebrew that underlies the text.
- Adult Catechesis is offered Thursday nights at 6:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Church, and the study following is a close reading of Martin Luther's great The Babylonian Captivity of the Church.
- Membership/Confirmation Classes are held periodically, scheduled to be convenient to those seeking membership at Zion. Youth Confirmation class is held Saturday mornings at 10:00 a.m. Luther's Small Catechism is the main text for both membership and Confirmation classes. First Communion classes are held in the Rectory on Saturday mornings for those who demonstrate a readiness to receive the Lord's Body and Blood according to Scripture, our Catechism, and Luther's Christian Questions and Their Answers. Contact the Church office for more information.
- Join us for one of these opportunities to study the Word of God, to grow in your knowledge of God and your love for God and neighbor, to learn more about Christian doctrine, and to enjoy the company of the faithful!
- Video of a full Sunday Mass at Zion is now available on our Youtube page - Click Here