Cancellation of the 2020 St. Michael Liturgical Conference – On Thursday, September 3 the State of Michigan Executive Order 176 was issued, extending the state of emergency due to the Covid virus through October 1, 2020. That extension includes the limitation of meetings and conferences held indoors to 10 people. This makes holding the St. Michael Liturgical Conference at Zion impossible this year.
Zion is working to contact everyone who has registered for the Conference, and to refund any registration fees already submitted.
We have already begun planning the 2021 St. Michael Liturgical Conference, to be held, Lord willing, on Monday, September 27, 2021. We hope you will make plans to join us at Zion for the 2021 Conference.
Corona virus update - Effective Sunday, May 17, Zion Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Detroit is resuming our normal schedule of Services. As of June 10, 2020 the requirement that visitors pre-register for Mass has been rescinded. Click here for more information.
The Commemoration of St. Cyprian of Carthage, Bishop and Martyr, will be celebrated with a spoken Mass in the Church at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, September 16.
The Feast of St. Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist will be celebrated with a spoken Mass in the Church on Monday, September 21 at 7:00 p.m.
The Feast of St. Michael, Archangel, will be celebrated with a sung High Mass in the Church on Tuesday, September 29 at 7:00 p.m. At the Michaelmass the Chrism to be used in the coming year will also be blessed. This is historically done on Maunday Thursday, but the Corona virus shut down mandated by the state of Michigan prevented it this year. Both Chrism and Oil for the Infirm will be blessed and set apart for use.
The Commemoration of St. Jerome, Priest and Confessor will be celebrated with a spoken Mass in the Church on Wednesday, September 30 at 10:00 a.m.
Regularly at Zion -
- Adult Bible Class is held twice each week - Sunday after Mass, and Wednesday after morning Mass. On Sundays we are are engaged in a close study of the Gospel according to St. John, which Fr. Braden leads from the Greek text. On Wednesdays we are studying the Book of the Prophet Hosea, with an eye to the Hebrew which underlies the text.
- The Zion Men's Group meets twice each month, alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays, at 7:00 p.m. After singing Vespers in the Church, we are currently studying Chemnitz's Two Natures in Christ, a 16th century study of Christology. After our study, food and (Lutheran) beverages enhance our Gemütlichkeit.
- The Zion Women's Group meets twice a month on Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Chapel, enjoy coffee and baked goods, and then continue in our study of the Book of Proverbs, with an eye to the Hebrew that underlies the text.
- Adult Catechesis is offered Thursday nights at 6:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Church, and the study following is a close reading of the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther's Great Confession on the Sacrament of the Altar.
- Membership/Confirmation Classes are held periodically, scheduled to be convenient to those seeking membership at Zion. Youth Confirmation class is held Saturday mornings at 10:00 a.m. Luther's Small Catechism is the main text for both membership and Confirmation classes. First Communion classes are held in the Rectory on Saturday mornings for those who demonstrate a readiness to receive the Lord's Body and Blood according to Scripture, our Catechism, and Luther's Christian Questions and Their Answers. Contact the Church office for more information.
- Join us for one of these opportunities to study the Word of God, to grow in your knowledge of God and your love for God and neighbor, to learn more about Christian doctrine, and to enjoy the company of the faithful!
- Video of a full Sunday Mass at Zion is now available on our Youtube page - Click Here