Zion observes the "Gesimas", the Sundays after Epiphany known as "Pre-Lent". Septuagesima, the First Sunday of Pre-Lent, was celebrated at Zion on Sunday, February 9 at 10:00 a.m. with a sung Mass in the Church. Sexagesima will be celebrated on Sunday, February 16, and Sexagesima on Sunday, February 23. Join us as we prepare for the great 40 day fast!
Ash Wednesday Mass with the Imposition of Ashes will be observed on Wednesday, February 26, with Mass at 9:30 a.m. and at 7:00 p.m.
Midweek Masses for Lent will be celebrated in the Church with a spoken, "Low" Mass every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. This year the Feast of the Annunciation falls on a Wednesday in Lent, and so displaces the midweek Mass for Laetare. The sermon themes for the midweek Masses will be based on the appointed Psalms:
- Invocabit, Wednesday, February 26 - Psalm 25: "Redeem us, O God!"
- Reminiscere, Wednesday, March 4 (Ember Wednesday) - Psalm 38: "Do not forsake me O Lord."
- Oculi, Wednesday, March 11 - Psalm 31: "Deliver me in Your righteousness."
- The Feast of the Annunciation, Wednesday, March 25
- Judica, Wednesday, April 1 - Psalm 18: "The Lord is my Rock."
Join us each week during Lent!
Regularly at Zion -
- Adult Bible Class is held twice each week - Sunday after Mass, and Wednesday after morning Mass. On Sundays we are are engaged in a close study of the Gospel according to St. John, which Fr. Braden leads from the Greek text. On Wednesdays we are currently finishing a study of the Epistle of St. Paul to the Galatians, which is also led from the Greek New Testament.
- The Zion Men's Group meets twice each month, alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays, at 7:00 p.m. After singing Vespers in the Church, we are currently studying Chemnitz's Two Natures in Christ, a 16th century study of Christology. After our study, food and (Lutheran) beverages enhance our Gemütlichkeit.
- The Zion Women's Group meets twice a month on Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Chapel, enjoy coffee and baked goods, and then continue in our study of the Book of Proverbs, with an eye to the Hebrew that underlies the text.
- Adult Catechesis is offered Thursday nights at 6:00 p.m. We sing Vespers in the Church, and the study following is a close reading of Martin Luther's great The Babylonian Captivity of the Church.
- Membership/Confirmation Classes are held periodically, scheduled to be convenient to those seeking membership at Zion. Youth Confirmation class is held Saturday mornings at 10:00 a.m. Luther's Small Catechism is the main text for both membership and Confirmation classes. First Communion classes are held in the Rectory on Saturday mornings for those who demonstrate a readiness to receive the Lord's Body and Blood according to Scripture, our Catechism, and Luther's Christian Questions and Their Answers. Contact the Church office for more information.
- Join us for one of these opportunities to study the Word of God, to grow in your knowledge of God and your love for God and neighbor, to learn more about Christian doctrine, and to enjoy the company of the faithful!
- Video of a full Sunday Mass at Zion is now available on our Youtube page - Click Here